Elylah is our first grandchild, the only girl so far, and what a buddy she is to me. Not yet four years old, she loves to cook, bake, do crafts, paint, water flowers, dust furniture and wash windows! She has taught ME how to say the names of the planets in order from the sun. She has a beautiful singing voice and delights in twirling around in dresses. She likes me to pitch her PINK wiffel ball to her that she hits with her PINK bat. Yep, she's ALL GIRL!

Deacon is two months to the day younger than Elylah. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture of him! He looks so much like his dad did at this age that it is scary. He is also multi-talented, and can play the guitar and drums, and sing as well. His early claim to fame is that he can sing the alphabet backwards (His Z to A song) and he is also working on memorizing the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Owen will be two in a couple of months. He is Deacon's little brother. He is busy. All the time...very busy. He is determined to keep up with everything and everybody. His mommy caught him sleeping in a drawer recently. He has the biggest blue eyes I've every seen!
Ethan is not yet one. Little brother to Elylah, he too is very busy. Especially now that he has learned he gets a lot of attention when he goes for the steps. Ethan is the first child I've ever known who doesn't nap, unless he is being held or riding in the car. Being the youngest, I guess he doesn't want to miss anything!
Ethan is not yet one. Little brother to Elylah, he too is very busy. Especially now that he has learned he gets a lot of attention when he goes for the steps. Ethan is the first child I've ever known who doesn't nap, unless he is being held or riding in the car. Being the youngest, I guess he doesn't want to miss anything!***
Living to see your children's children has from ancient times been seen as a blessing from God. I don't think we really understand it until we get there, though. Grandchildren bring a new spark of joy to our lives that is quite indescribable. We get to see new life up close and personal once again, though this time from the vantage point of a little more experience and wisdom, and without the heavy weight of responsibility. Just at a time when we may be starting to experience some of the downsides of getting older, such as aging or dying parents, the realities of our own aging process in terms of our energy level or our usefulness in the workplace, etc., these precious little ones enter our lives and give the word "perspective" a whole new meaning. An added blessing, too, is seeing our own children in their new roles as parents. Though it seems like "yesterday" that they were babes in our arms, they've grown and matured and made us so proud.
"Children's children are a crown to the aged..." Proverbs 17:6
Some of my thoughts about "letting go" of my children can be read here:

2 comments:
Hi there,
I found you through "The Power of Self Control" and am delighted to read your insights about grandparenting.
As a Christian wife and mother, the arrival of my first grandchild 3 years ago was truly the icing on the cake of life.
I also lost my mother last year and witnessed God's infinite favor in letting her meet her great-grandson this side of heaven!
By the way, my Mom's name is Jacquelyn as well!
That's why I clicked on your blog!
Blessings as you navigate this world with the grace and love of our Glorious Savior~
I love that: "the arrival of (grandchildren is) truly the icing on the cake of life" !! Thank you for stopping by and I hope you'll come back! This is a new blog...you can see my other ones by clicking on the picture links.
I'm probably the world's most obnoxious grandma but I just can't seem to help myself. It sure does help to have such joy especially as we go through those difficult life transitions as we've both so recenty experienced, the loss of parent.
Anxious to keep up with you on your blog!
Post a Comment