Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chicken Lasagna Rolls

Here is a delicious recipe I'd like to share. It supposedly came in it's original form from a cardiologist who won a heart-healthy recipe contest with it, though I have not been able to find any documentation of that. I promise that the only difference between how I make it and the original recipe as far as the ingredients go is noted. As far as the method of preparation, I go into a lot more detail. But trust me, this is really easy, and when you serve it to your family or guests it will look very elegant. Enjoy!

CHICKEN LASAGNA ROLLS

14 strips lasagna noodles
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached and cooled, and cut into cubes
8 oz. container of low-fat small curd cottage cheese (original calls for "Lite & Lively" brand)
8 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed (or use chopped fresh, it's easier)
2 eggs (original calls for 1/2 cup thawed egg substitute)
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 - 26 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (original calls for 2 cups Ragu)
1 - 1/2 cups low fat shredded mozzerella cheese (original calls for only 1/3 cup)
1 Tbsp. dried sweet basil, crushed between your hands (original calls for 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning)

Method:

Poach chicken by boiling a pot of water, then dropping in chicken breasts. As soon as pot starts to boil again, turn the heat off and cover...let it sit for 10 minutes till chicken is white all the way through. Remove chicken from water and allow to cool, then cut into cubes.

Bring a clean pot of water to boil and cook lasagna noodles. Do not overcook because they tear easily. They will finish cooking in the oven; just get them to where they are flexible enough to roll.

While noodles are cooking combine all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT spaghetti sauce and reserve 1 cup of the mozzerella cheese for topping.

When noodles are cooked, rinse under cold water and drain. Lay them out one at a time on waxed paper and spread the filling on them. Carefully roll up the filled noodles jelly-roll style and place in large casserole dish that has half the jar of sauce on the bottom, nesting them against each other. When the casserole dish is full cover with remaining sauce and remaining one cup of the mozzerella cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for about 35-40 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh these sound soooooo good.
I just might get the ingredients and make this!

Anonymous said...

Oh and "P.S" - I like the new look here!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Thanks Deb! you can always use less cheese if it makes you more comfortable...I go ahead and enjoy the mozzerella since everything is pretty low-fat. Would you believe last Christmas for our family party I made 70 rolls? Now THAT's Italian! :)

Rose said...

Oh my goodness, I think I just gained weight reading this...lol. It does sound delicious!