
The big day isn't quite here yet, but our cookies have all but disappeared already. Why? Because I have the best recipe for cut-outs and frosting. I would love to share it with you. I actually published this recipe before on this blog but here it is again for any newcomers.
My granddaughter stayed overnight the other night so we could have time to make a batch of these. The size of the heart shaped cookie cutter that we used allowed us to make 5 dozen cookies. She took about 15 of them to her pre-school for their little party. We wrapped each one in a little cellophane bag with a tie, then put them in a pretty red box for easy carrying.
Then she got to keep a dozen that she personally decorated, and her mom took some to work, and...can you tell I'm trying desperately to account for the 60 cookies???
Grandma's Sugar Cookies
Cream together:
2 sticks butter (1 cup)
2 cups sugar
Beat in two medium eggs with mixer.
Sift together and add to the first mixture:
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 cups sifted flour
Blend into mixture 1 tsp. vanilla
Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees F. Time depends on size of cookie. Start checking at 6 minutes. They are "perfect" when you see just a faint browned edge. Take cookie sheet out and set on wire rack till they cool off.
Note: This is a large recipe. It will make about 100 small to medium sized cut outs, or about 50 large cut outs. It can easily be cut in half.
Butter Cream Frosting
2 sticks butter, softened (1 cup)
8 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp. vanilla
milk
Cream together first three ingredients with beaters. Gradually add milk by the tablespoon to desired consistency. Note: this is a large recipe. It will frost about 100 small to medium sized cut outs, or about 50 large ones. The recipe can easily be cut in half.




12 comments:
I have to agree, it is the perfect recipe. These things melt in your mouth like no other cookie does!
Don't forget to tell everyone how long to bake it and what temp.
Oh thanks Ellie. I went back and added that info. Crucial!
I don't know what is cuter...the cookies or the sweetie pie baking them ;-)
Thank you for sharing your sugar cookie recipe......sounds delicious! They look divine! May I post this recipe on my store website? I have a retail gift store and a website, where I have a tab for recipes for my visitors. It would be posted w/ your name as the source. Happy Valentine's Day! Lynn
What a perfect day!!! I really wish I thought of doing things like this when my kids were in preschool. She looks adorable!
Janet, I just love the photo where she has flour all over her face!
Lynn, thanks so much. Of course use the recipes! They are very old...I think they may have come with Tupperware cookie cutters like 40 years ago but I'm not sure. My family has used these recipes forever it seems.
Lois, I know what you mean. Believe me, grandmas have more time. LOL
How are you holding up sweetie? I think of you all the time. My nephew is right where they are preparing for the big offensive...he is with the Marines. How's the Colonel doing?
I'm keeping up with blog reading as much as I can!
Thank you for your comments on my blog. I just read them and it made me feel very special.
Hope you're enjoying a great Valentine's weekend!
Lois, I hope you get to talk to the Colonel today! God bless you dear one!
Dear Jacquelyn,
I wanted to stop by and say hello and to thank you for becoming part of my blogging family. I hope you will be blessed and encouraged as well as informed at "Sugar Confessions..."
Your granddaughter is precious, and those cookies look quite yummy!
Have a blessed Valentine's Day....
You are a good grandma, and she is just darling. Just the thought of having to enter into the kitchen with my kids and start a project like this is nearly enough to send me over the edge. Would you come be a grandma to my kids? They have two of them, but I can't imagine them wanting to bake either.
Thanks for visiting the blog. Feel free to visit anytime. Is this your main blog? I see you have more than one; wow, you've got some time on your hands sister. All the more:)
peace~elaine
Post a Comment