Friday, February 5, 2010

I got a new car for my birthday!


I had so much fun playing with the new toys the grandkids got for Christmas that my hubby decided I needed a new toy for myself. So he bought me a new car!


I think he's lost his marbles, but then again, this thing is actually pretty impressive. It has a remote control, and can not only go backwards or forwards, but can turn corners too. And it goes really fast! My eye-hand coordination isn't what it used to be, but I'm getting the hang of it! So never let it be said this old granny is just wastin' away in her rockin' chair!

My birthday happened to be a babysitting day, and when Elylah arrived, she started pulling balloons out of the drawer and trying to blow them up. She just assumed we were having the only kind of birthday she knows about...with a lot of fanfare. I told her I was too old for that, but what I really wanted was for her to make me a cake! She happily obliged!


She is using the electric hand mixer for the first time. She's always been afraid of the noise before.


We used a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. It called for a whole stick of butter which made it very yummy! I just love yellow cake with chocolate frosting...but I don't care for prepared frostings. This is the recipe I like to use, which is very simple and the taste is well worth the extra time.

Fudge Frosting


2 cups sugar

1/2 c. shortening

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate

2/3 c. milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons vanilla


Mix all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan. Heat to rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Boil one minute without stirring. Place saucepan in bowl of ice and water. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency; stir in vanilla. About 2 1/2 c. frosting.


from Betty Crocker’s Everything Chocolate Cookbook (1993)



...they each got to lick a beater of course!



Elylah found four candles in the drawer, since she is four...and that was fine with me! So we sang the birthday song and blew out the candles...and I got what I really wanted for my birthday: another precious memory!

January 27, 2010

7 comments:

Wanda..... said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Jacquelyn!

A new car with a racing stripe even! I can't believe how clean Ethan remained after having the beater with chocolate frosting!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday...I think that is so neat that your husband got you a remote control car. I loved all the photos! Have a wonderful day Jacquelyn! :)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Wanda, I think I must have snapped the pic before he really got into it! LOL

Jamey, thanks...yes, hubby was very proud of himself! LOL

Jess said...

YIPEE for You!
Happy Birthday Sweet Friend.
I pray that this new year will be extra packed with joy and happiness for you and yours!
And what precious helpers you had to celebrate with =)

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Hi Jess...and thank you! I hope I don't have to buy a REAL new car for a long long time! LOL!

Rose said...

Happy Birthday...late! Shoot now I want a bright red car with racing stripes. How fun!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Yeah, I've always wanted a bright red car...LOL!