June is the month for strawberries here in NE Ohio. There are several farms within 1/2 hour's driving distance from our home. I've been so anxious for it to stop raining around here so I could take my grandchildren on a little strawberry field trip! The magic day was yesterday. We had so much fun. We chose a local farm that doesn't use pesticides on their strawberry plants and the kids were able to munch away while picking. I've already given away three quarts, and put three more in my freezer. The rest we will eat fresh...we've already enjoyed smoothies, and I will make shortcake today. These berries taste nothing like the ones purchased in the grocery store. It just doesn't get any fresher than this! We only had the energy to pick one nice big basketful, and they won't last very long...but the fun memories will last a lifetime.

3 comments:
Would you believe I picked strawberries as a child. That was back when they were covered with straw and pulled through. The farmers now use plastic to cover.
I've picked, stemmed, pack for market, made jelly, jam etc. The freezer jam is our favorite.
Yes I have picked strawberries many times, and love to made the freezer jam, I missed this season though and going to plant our own this fall so will have plently for next season. Hugs and blessings
Yes I have and did so all through my growing up years. I picked strawberrys with my grandma too. :) We are going to go strawberry picking soon. What a wonderful grandma you are to take them and giving them these wonderful memories. The pictures are so cute! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. XX Lori
Post a Comment