Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Virginia's Autumn Soup, with a story


This is quite a simple recipe and one that brings precious memories every time I make it. It was given to me about 15 years ago by an elderly pastor's wife who had co-labored with her husband for more than 50 years in the ministry. She used to bring it to our church soup suppers. In the early years of their ministry when they served a small rural town, many folks supplemented their tithes and offerings with fresh produce, meat, and dairy products from their farms. Virginia told me that while they didn't have a lot of money, they always had plenty of good food. I think of how different life is today, and part of my heart longs to know more of the simple ways of days gone by. Let me know if you try this recipe...it is very hearty and all you need to go with it is some good bread and butter. You probably have everything you need in your kitchen already.

Autumn Soup

1 # ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
1 qt. tomatoes
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. sweet basil
1 tsp. chili powder
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup pearled barley

Brown meat and onions, drain off excess fat. Add browned meat and onion to slow cooker with remaining ingredients. Turn cooker to low. Cook 4-5 hours.

Jacquelyn's notes:

*notice the ingredient "quart tomatoes" - I use a large can of crushed tomatoes
*ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef if preferred
*I go heavy on the sweet basil and chili powder, using about 1 Tbsp. each
*I usually make this in a pot on the stove instead of in the crock pot. It's done in about an hour, but tastes better every time you reheat it!

2 comments:

Rose said...

Jacquelyn, I tell ya, you and Deb are trying to kill me with all these food recipes....lol. I LOVE soups and this sounds really good! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

With the weather cooling (WAY down), soup sure sounds good. Any kind of soup with lots of veggies is a 'keeper' in my book!
Thank you for sharing this one. and the pic looks so good I need a napkin! hee hee