Monday, November 30, 2009

Are you getting prepared for His coming?

Those were the opening words of an e-mail I received recently from a friend. I laughed hysterically as I continued reading of how she felt that preparing for her husband's family to spend the holidays with them seemed more daunting. I thought, "you're preaching to the choir, sister!"...oh how well I can relate. For me, "the holidays" are a six week long adrenaline rush that I absolutely love. Still, the words stuck with me: "Are you getting prepared for His coming?"

Well, of course! I love the beautiful carols that speak to something deep within my soul...I love to hear the story of the baby in the manger over and over again...Mary and Joseph, the angels, the shepherds, the wise men...all doing their parts...Again: "Are you getting prepared for His coming?"

OK, Lord...I'm listening. Just what is it You are trying to say to me?

Part of the answer came while attending a Christmas concert the other evening. The words of the familiar carol hit me like a bolt of lightning. Everything we do to prepare for the holiday season is all about HIM. We can't even "discover" Him...rather He reveals Truth to us. Can we quiet our hearts long enough to see and hear and feel what He has revealed in sending His Christ, to live and die as one of us? His great love is His only motivation for revealing Himself to us, for offering His great salvation.

Scripture tells us that when He comes again, it won't be as a little babe in a manger stall, but He will come with power and great glory, and every eye will see Him and every knee will bow...and I think we will all sing...

"He rules the world, with Truth and Grace!
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love!"

Are you getting prepared for His coming?

(Reprinted from Stager family Christmas newsletter, December 2001)

4 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Very cute. And very true! I need to make sure I really take some time this year and concentrate more on my Lord than all my family coming over! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Rose said...

Jacquelyn,

I so like to think that I am prepared but you know I think it will be so overwhelming that none of us are prepared for what God has in store for us.
I know you meant spiritually prepared. I just can't help but think our attempts to describe how it will be fall miserably short of HIS Glory, power and majesty!
Wooohooo!

Blessings,
Rose

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Lois, I'm doing a 90 day discipline that I found on line at someone's blog...reading a book/the Psalms & Proverbs, journaling and singing or listening to godly music each day and prayer. The whole thing takes less than an hour and I'm doing it early every morning. I thought this would do me a lot of good over the holidays. I'm loving it!

Jacquelyn Stager said...

Rose, we know when Jesus returns it will be "suddenly" and I totally agree, it will be so overwhelming for us who long to see Him, but really have no idea what this "once a lifetime" experience will be all about! Everytime I look up to the beautiful sky I try to imagine my space ride! LOL!